Further Information on the Thematic Field
Teach me and I listen, tell me and I remember, involve me and I learn“ – The Helmholtz Research School “Lung Biology and Disease”
Lung diseases are among the leading causes of death worldwide, and the trend is increasing. The cause is largely unknown; however, changes in lifestyle and pollutants are contributing factors. The thematic track “Lung Biology and Disease“ in HELENA is offered by the Comprehensive Pneumology Center (CPC), a translational center for lung research. Graduate students who like to complete their doctorate in the field of chronic lung research can go through a structured and specialized degree program here.
The scientific focus at the interface of basic and translational research is as follows:
- At the CPC the molecular mechanisms that play a role in the pathogenesis and course of chronic lung diseases are elucidated.
- Important methods of molecular and cell biology, pharmacology, chemistry and clinical medicine are integrated into the research in order to develop diagnostic or therapeutic approaches for chronic lung diseases.
- The CPC develops innovative application approaches to optimized therapy in chronic lung diseases.
The interdisciplinary and focused scientific structure of the research school “Lung Biology and Disease“ offers doctoral training of the highest quality and optimally prepares students for a successful career in medical, academic and industrial fields.
In line with the adage of Benjamin Franklin, “Teach me and I listen, tell me and I remember, involve me and I learn“, which the research school has chosen as its motto, the doctoral students will be included in planning and organization at all levels of their training. They can help shape framework conditions in the research school directly.
Coordination of the Thematic Field
Dr. Antje Brand
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Institut für Lungenbiologie
Comprehensive Pneumology Center
The thematic field Lung Biology and Disease is represented by the following institutes and research units:
- Institute of Lung Biology and Disease (iLBD) and Comprehensive Pneumology Center (CPC)
- Institute of Allergy Research (IAF)
- Institute of Asthma and Allergy Prevention (IAP)
- Institute of Environmental Medicine (IEM)
- Research Unit Lung Repair and Regeneration (LRR)
- Form for HELENA Lectures, Seminars, Courses etc.
- Form for External Lectures, Courses, Conferences etc.
The scientific training attendance forms should be submitted to the Graduate Student Office (GSO) after every term in April and October (1 term=1 Semester, 01 April - 30 September or 01 October - 31 March).